Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A new camera? Oh yeah... No big deal. {oh and 20% off portrait sessions}

I've been saving for a new camera &/or computer for quite some time now. All my birthday and christmas money along with all my photoshoot funds and extra scholarship money were set aside. With my recent graduation, I finally reached the tipping point - and was faced with the decision of purchasing a camera or a computer.

Those of you that know me or have had any class with me, would instantly tell me my decision is a no-brainer... my dinosaur of a computer needs to be replaced. And I agree, my computer does need to be replaced, much more than my camera does.

However, I can't decide what kind of computer I want. An iMac would be great because i would have an amazing screen, an all in one compact space saving, but still an editing machine. It would give me enough mobility to work in my office or living room or dining room as I pleased. A Macbook pro would also be awesome. Smaller screen, but even more portable- meaning I can edit at Starbucks or on a trip or wherever I want. Or I can get a custom built pc with windows7. The benefit of this is its much cheaper... My dad is a software engineer and so I'd only pay for parts. The computer would be incredibly fast and yet super cheap (in comparison) but I would still need to buy a nice monitor and if I wanted to be portable, I'd be stuck using my current dinosaur laptop. So I haven't been able to decide.

However when it came to a new camera, I knew exactly what I wanted. 3 words... Full frame sensor. So my options were Nikon D700 or Canon 5D Mark ii. Nikon meant I could use same lenses, Canon meant video and slightly cheaper, plus a wider use (to my knowledge) by photographers I respect and look up to. Canon won.

I wanted to wait until I had my official business stuff setup so that it could be a legit business expense. A couple weeks ago I setup my business bank account, but wasn't able to use it because I was stuck waiting for my card. I was looking at my photoshoot schedule and realized I couldn't put off purchasing it any longer if I wanted to use my new camera. Miraculously that day my card came in the mail!!!

That night I hopped on, and with little thought or deliberation, ordered the Mark ii, with the 24-105 lens, the 50 mm lens, a memory card and some uv filters. It was kind of odd to spend such a large chunk of the money I've been saving these past couple years with only a couple clicks of the mouse. I got an email today stating my entire order shipped and should arrive Friday!!!! I'm so excited. :D

I am definitely looking forward to my upcoming photoshoots. And since I'm so gosh darn excited about my camera and want to get started on lots of photoshoots asap, I'm going to offer 20% off any family, engagement, or senior portrait session booked by next Friday for a summer photoshoot!!

Email me for first choice of photoshoot dates! And check back for sneak peaks!


0 comments:

networkedblogswidget

Follow us on Twitter

'Like' us on Facebook

Followers